Thursday, July 21, 2011

Shipped my beloved uke to the hospital.


My favorite ukulele is my Kamaka HF3 tenor.  I noticed a couple of months ago that there was some seam separation occurring on the top portion (where the bookmatching occurs) under the bridge.  I took it into the Kamaka factory and they told me that they would be able to fix it within a few days and ship it back to me.  Unfortunately, the only case I had with me was my new Kamoa -- and I didn't want to get it all dinged up so I opted to take the uke back home with me.

I tried some home remedies to rehumidify the uke, in the hopes that I could stabilize the issue until I return to Oahu in September.  I used dampit humidifiers, as well as an Oasis.  While it appeared to stabilize it a bit, I was too nervous about the uke trying to make it through a long, hot summer in Pasadena.  So I shipped it to the factory and told them the problem, in the hopes that they can repair it before I return to Oahu. 


Apparently, they have a six month waiting list, but I'm hoping since they were willing to do the repairs in only a couple of days that they will be able to fix it sooner than that.  The woman on the phone told me it could take that long but they will try to fix it before I return in September so I can pick it up then.  I'd really rather have them ship it back to me, as I sent it over in my Ameritage case (for better protection). 

While that heavy, sturdy case is much more protective than my Kamoa, it cost me a small fortune to send it back to them -- and surely will to return.  But I'd rather not have to drag that Ameritage around Hawaii for two weeks...plus, I'm in the middle of my uke lessons right now and I'd prefer to get the uke back as soon as possible so I can use it during my lessons.  I figure if they fix it within two or three weeks, I'll definitely pay to have them ship it back.  If it takes five or six weeks, I'll have them hold it until September for me.   In four weeks?  I guess I'll flip a coin.

Instead, I'm now depending on my Kanilea or KoAloha to use in class.  They are both great ukes, but they are not the uke of my heart.  I'm obsessively checking the UPS tracking number to see when it gets delivered (it is due to be delivered to the factory today), and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they can fix my uke sooner rather than later.  Until then, I'm a sad little panda until my "Pele" returns home to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment