Saturday, March 31, 2012

A new home for my ukes, and a new uke?

My family and friends know the saga I had with the seam separations on my Kamaka, and the recent crack that developed in my Kamoa soprano, so I had purchased a room humidifier and hygrometer for my office.  My ukes used to be displayed on my wall with these really cool Hawaiian themed uke wall hangers.

Once I set up the hygrometer, I was shocked to see that my office was getting humidity readings in the 30s.  I began using the humidifier and it worked pretty well, but I was dismayed to see that I had to keep my office door closed constantly in order to regulate the humidity better.  I tried putting all of the ukes back in their original cases but just didn't have the space in my office to store them properly that way, plus it was a pain when I wanted to play them to have to drag the cases out of the closet.

So I did some research online and came across a post on Ukulele Underground by a woodworker (and UU member) who made himself a cabinet for his ukes.  He placed a humidifier inside and it managed to keep the humidity regulated, while still maintaining ease of access.  I contacted him and commissioned him to build me a cabinet for my ukes, though since he had only natural or black stains available, I told him we would stain it ourselves (to match my office furniture in a darker brown).

He built me the cabinet, and my spouse spent the next few weeks (on days off) staining and lacquering the cabinet.  Eventually we plan to build a shelf system below it to house my cases, music books, and uke accessories.

But I couldn't be happier with the cabinet.  I have all four of my main ukes hanging inside -- resting on a foam pillow I made and covered with brown fleecy felt so that they don't rattle or touch one another.  The case has the humidifiers hidden in the back out of view, and I keep the hygrometer inside where I can easily see its readout.  I'm pleased to note that it is maintaining its humidity between 45-53% on a regular basis now.  I have solved my humidity issues but been able to keep the ukes readily accessible.


In other related news, I'm heading back to Hawaii again on April 10th and I have my eyes on getting an all koa Kauai built Kamoa uke.  If I end up liking it (as I'm sure I will), I will be posting my Pineapple Sunday up for sale in order to finance the purchase of the new ukulele.  I have found that I like the sound of my KoAloha tenor the best, and the looks of my Kamaka tenor the best.  I'm hoping that the Kamoa uke will combine looks/sound to be my new favorite.  And how can I lose if it is built in Kauai, my favorite place on Earth?  I feel guilty selling the Pineapple Sunday but I rarely play it, and I have no business buying a new uke without selling one of my current ones.  Check out the video below (at the 7:20 point) to see the one I'm currently dreaming of owning.
 

1 comment:

  1. WickedWahine:

    I was researching KPS’s and came upon your blog.

    I bought your KPS and couldn’t be happier!

    I’ve always wanted a KPS, and you threw in all that swag (ukeleashes, string sets, and the sa-weet A case), thank you thank you. Honestly, this is like Xmas to me. It really is. And, to know that you are getting a new Kamoa all koa for your wall case makes my heart warm.

    I just wanted to say thanks, WW. There’s something bonding about the transfer of a well-loved instrument. A shared Hawaiian “mana”. We're forever connected, in a sense (okay, even I thought that sounded creepy).

    With sunny wishes, Steve

    ReplyDelete