Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Aloha!

Aloha to my new blog. I've called it Kama'aina at Heart because even though I live in California, my heart is always in Hawaii. A kama'aina is someone who has lived in Hawaii for a long period of time. Even though I reside in CA, my heart has lived in Hawaii for many years. I've traveled there every year since I was a kid, and I've been fortunate enough to be able to start visiting more frequently lately.

I own a travel agency so I have been lucky enough to travel all over the United States, Europe and Asia. But there is still one place that calls to me, and speaks to my soul, and that is Hawaii. If it was at all possible, I would move there, but my spouse's job keeps us here in Los Angeles (I'm married to an LAPD lieutenant). We are hoping to be able to get a vacation home in Oahu or Kauai in the future, but until then I will have to tide myself over with visits a few times each year.

Why do I love Hawaii so much? It isn't just the scenery -- though I've never found its equal. It isn't just the food, although oh, how I love local cuisine (mmm, kalua pork). It isn't just the people, although rarely have I experienced such warmth and spirit elsewhere. It is the combination of all of the above that lead me to long for Hawaii on a daily basis.

So I immerse myself in Hawaiian culture here in California by taking ukulele classes, dancing hula, and getting my weekly fix at King's Hawaiian Bakery. And I live for the moments that come each year when my plane touches down in my home away from home, and I can smell the plumeria, and wave the shaka, and feel the tradewinds once again.

This blog will be a collection of my takes on Hawaii, from my ukuleles, to my attempts at learning new hula dances, to my favorite places to eat or shop in the island.

I'm hoping to update it pretty frequently, in between trips back to Hawaii. I am leaving again for Oahu and Kauai next week, so I should have lots to add once I get back home. Mahalo nui loa for reading, and aloha oe!

No comments:

Post a Comment