Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Closer inspection of satin vs. gloss finish on my Kamaka HF3

I originally posted a couple of quick photos showing the difference between the original satin finish and the new glossy finish on my Kamaka.  Here are some more detailed comparisons -- I still think that as a general rule, there is not a huge difference when the satin had been viewed under ideal situations (with fluorescent lights or a flash camera), but in just a glance, or less than idea scenarios, the gloss shows the curl in the koa much more than the satin did.  So I have tried to find photos that show the satin in its natural state -- not an easy task because I usually was meticulous about how I took pictures to best reflect the curl in the koa.

Here are some comparisons taken of the ukulele under the same conditions -- no flash, just the top portion of the face near the soundhole.
Satin top

Glossy top
As you can see, the glossy really brings out the curl in the koa.  Although you do have to account for the brighter sunlight conditions in the second photo, it is that dramatic a difference.

The next set of photos are of the side of the ukulele.  This shows the satin finish under the best possible conditions, with lighting/flash that allowed the curl to show through, so the difference is much less dramatic.
Satin side
Glossy side
Hopefully, this gives a bit of an insight into the difference in appearance between the two finishes.  As for sound, my uke sounds exactly the same as it did during the satin finish. As Fred Kamaka, Jr. noted, there is no difference in sound in their ukuleles in either finishes, they endure the same six bottom coats, it is only the top coat of finish that determines whether the ukulele will be satin or glossy.

As for feel, I did like the smooth, silky feel of the satin probably better than the stickier finish provided by the gloss.  But the funny thing is that my ukulele had originally had a gloss finish on the back of its neck (I'm not sure if that was by accident or design) so the majority of the portion I touched feels the same.  I actually really like that I don't have to worry about sweat/body oils in the portion of the ukulele where my right forearm rests any longer.  That had been touched so often that it was starting to show a shiny spot in that area.  The satin finish was also much easier to damage and the gloss hides more of a multitude of sins.

Chris Kamaka was able to remove the gouge marks and most of the scratches on my uke, leaving her pristine and beautiful.  I don't regret it for a second, even though I do still see the value of a traditional satin ukulele.
So on the whole, I'm very happy with my decision to refinish it, and I can't thank the Kamaka guys enough for taking care of it for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment